The Importance of Science to Leadership, and Leadership to Science
July 22 – August 4, 2018
The initial visit will introduce the Schmidt Science Fellows program and provide a foundation for the year ahead. The Fellows will participate in a series of courses and exercises focused on:
- Cutting-edge scientific advances
- Societal and scientific leadership
- Socioeconomic and political literacy for scientists and engineers
- Team management and collaboration
- Personal network development
These courses and exercises will be led by world-renowned experts, faculty and facilitators at some of the United Kingdom’s top universities. The Fellows will also tour exciting and innovative laboratories in the UK.
Traditional Partners – The Interface Between Science and the Public Sector
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
The Cambridge Global Meeting is hosted by Harvard University, MIT, and the Broad Institute. The meeting program has been developed with faculty from those institutions.
November 3 – 10, 2018
The Schmidt Science Fellows will visit Cambridge, Massachusetts to build on the concepts and ideas they developed in Oxford, UK at the outset of their fellowship year. The focus of the Global Meeting will be on gaining insights into the public funding environment and policy landscape.
Through meeting and working with scientific and government leaders, Fellows will be exposed to issues in:
- Interacting with and navigating the realities and constraints of scientific research in the public sector
- Intersections between science and government
- Collaborating and communicating with policymakers
- Navigating government funding sources
- Understanding bureaucratic structures
The visit will also provide opportunities to delve into the cutting-edge science being pursued at Harvard University, MIT, and the Broad Institute, specifically interdisciplinary groups and environments.
Fellows will also benefit from communication skills training by experts from the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science.
Expanding Horizons – The Interface Between Science and the Private Sector
Northern California, USA
February 23 – March 2 2019 (TBC)
During this visit, Fellows will continue their exploration of new scientific discoveries, scientific and societal leadership, and team management, while adding new insights about collaboration between the sciences and private sector. Fellows will:
- Get exposure to the entrepreneurial culture of Silicon Valley
- Discuss with scientific and private sector leaders what it takes to attract venture interest from the private sector
- Learn about new models of funding and commercialization
- See the research taking place at corporations and other laboratories in the area
These experiences will arm Fellows with the tools and understanding needed to engage with the private sector in their future endeavors, and also help them make connections to the Silicon Valley community that will stay with them long after the conclusion of the Program.
Where Do We Go From Here
July – August 2019
The final visit will serve as the conclusion of the Schmidt Science Fellows program, in partnership with the Rhodes Trust. The Fellows will synthesize and present what they have learned from their year of study and work to their peers. They will also have the opportunity to meet the next year’s class of Schmidt Science Fellows and teach some of the initial courses that will start that new class on their year-long journey. The final week will also help to cement bonds that have formed among the Fellows through social and group activities, providing a foundation for lifelong fellowship and collaboration.